Skip to main content

What Do I Need to Get Hired?

I-9 Certification

A newly hired student employee must come to the Student Employment Office to complete their I-9 form before the employee begins work.  Departments will be charged a $100 fine and reported on the University’s monthly compliance report for each "late" I-9.

Acceptable Documents for I-9 Certification

The following is a list of acceptable documents that may be used to satisfy the I-9 requirements in establishing an individual’s eligibility to work in the United States.  All documents must be current (not expired), original and non-laminated.

What Documents Do I Need to Get Hired?

Please note that Laminated Social Security Cards are considered fraudulent documents by the Immigration Customs Enforcement, and will not be accepted for I-9 purposes.

For persons under the age of 18 (who are unable to present a document from any listed as an above option in LIST B) one of the following three documents may be used to verify identity: School record or report card; Clinic, doctor, or hospital record; or a Day-care or nursery school record.

How to Obtain a Social Security Card

The social security administration has stated that a person may apply for a new social security card if his/her card has been lost or stolen. Do not apply for a new card if you know where your card is located.

In the event you do not have an original Social Security card for IRS or I-9 purposes, you may obtain one by going to the local Social Security Administration Office. The Social Security Administration is located in the J.Will Robinson Federal Office Building at 88 West 100 North, Provo UT, and is open M, T, Th, F 9am-4pm and W 9am-12pm.  Phone is (866) 366-9549. Once you have received your social security card, please bring it in to Student Employment at 2024 Wilkinson Center in order to update your records with the University. Please note that you will need to bring in your card within 30 days to meet IRS requirements and up to 90 days to meet Federal I-9 regulations (if you were originally hired using a temporary Social Security Card receipt).

Bringing in a Copy of Your Social Security Card

Why does Student Employment need a copy of my social security card?

BYU policy states:

“To satisfy Internal Revenue Service regulations, employees (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and international students) must present a social security card.” (

This policy comes, in part, because BYU uses the name and number of each employee for wage reporting purposes. This verification is set forth by the Social Security Administration as stated on their website:

“Each year employers send Copy A of Forms W-2 to Social Security. Social Security matches the name and Social Security number (SSN) on each Form W-2 against its database of all SSNs issued. When we find a match, we record the earnings information from the Form W-2 in the employee's earnings history.” (

In addition, the IRS Hiring Employees guidance reads:

“You are required to get each employee’s name and Social Security Number and to enter them on Form W-2” (

Attached Documents: