MOVING POLICY IMPLEMENTING PROCEDURES
The Moving Policy and these implementing procedures do not apply to interview and recruiting trips prior to accepting an offer of employment.
The Associate Academic Vice President-Faculty administers the moving policy for faculty. The CFO/Administrative Vice President administers the moving policy for all other employees. Moving allowance must be approved in advance by these respective vice presidents.
Eligible personnel, as described in the Moving Policy, may receive a moving expense allowance based upon the distance of the move and the size of the family being moved. For the current table of moving expense allowances, view the Moving Expense Allowance Table (Table) at the end of these procedures. Because all moving allowances are taxable to employees, table amounts include a best estimate of moving expenses for individuals that are increased to include estimated tax implications to employees. However, actual individual tax situations may vary. On occasion, colleges/departments (departments) provide supplemental amounts from their budgets. If provided, such amounts are also taxable to the employee.
- Moving allowances must be approved by the Associate Academic Vice President-Faculty.
- Payments up to amounts in the Table are made from a central University budget.
- Supplemental moving allowances in addition to Table amounts, if requested by departments, will be considered by the Associate Academic Vice President-Faculty. If approved, supplemental allowances will be paid from the department’s own budget or from other qualified departmental funds.
- With the approval of the Associate Academic Vice President-Faculty, the department may provide a limited moving allowance for moving expenses to new full-time visiting faculty. If provided, the department payment will be from its own budget or from other qualified departmental funds. The amount provided by the department may be matched, up to $1,950, by the Associate Academic Vice President-Faculty’s office from a central University budget. If visiting faculty are subsequently hired on full-time tenure track within one year of start date:
The moving allowance table amount, less the amount previously provided, will be paid to the faculty member from the Associate Academic Vice President-Faculty's office central budget.
The Associate Academic Vice President-Faculty's office will reimburse the department from its central budget the amount previously paid by the department, up to the Table amount less its prior matching payment
- Moving assistance must be approved by the CFO/Administrative Vice President.
- Moving allowances up to amounts in the Table are made from departmental budgets of the hiring department unless other arrangements are made with the CFO/Administrative Vice President.
- Supplemental moving allowances in addition to Table amounts, if requested by departments, will be considered by the CFO/Administrative Vice President. If approved, supplemental moving allowances will also be paid from the hiring department’s own budget or other qualified departmental funds.
New Hire Moving Information Memo & Authorized Moving Allowance Form
New employees shall receive a moving information memo describing the allowed moving allowance, options for requesting an advance, and options for moving companies.
- For faculty, the BYU New Hire Moving Information Memo and form should be provided from the Associated Academic VP-Faculty office.
- For non-faculty, the college/department should provide the BYU New Hire Moving Information Memo and Form.
Paul Larsen of Regulatory Accounting and Reporting (801 422-6630; B34 ASB) will arrange for payment of moving advances, direct vendor payment of expenses, and moving allowance payments for all moves. To make this request new hires should complete the “Authorized Moving Allowance Form” which was included with the BYU New Hire Moving Information Memo. Departments should contact him to advise the amount and operating unit to be charged.
Pre-Move House Hunting
With Dean/Director approval, the department may provide a reasonable amount for a pre-move house hunting trip for the new employee. Requests for reimbursement of actual expenses incurred (or where an advance is necessary) should be submitted to Paul Larsen. Because such amounts will be charged to the department requesting it, departments should notify Paul Larsen of the amount and operating unit to be charged. Pre-move house hunting amounts are also taxable to the employee.
BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY
Moving Expense Allowance Table
|Size of Family|
|Under 250||$ 3,700||5,800||6,200|
|251 to 500||4,500||6,300||7,500|
|501 to 750||5,200||7,400||8,600|
|751 to 1,000||5,800||8,300||9,800|
|1,001 to 1,250||6,600||9,400||11,100|
|1,251 to 1,500||7,400||10,500||12,300|
|1,501 to 1,750||8,200||11,400||13,400|
|1,751 to 2,000||8,800||12,600||14,600|
|2,001 to 2,250||9,700||13,500||15,800|
|2,251 to 2,500||10,300||14,500||16,900|
The size of the family is the number of eligible persons in the household who will move, which include the new hire, his or her lawful spouse, and unmarried children under the age of 26 who are financially dependent upon the employee.
An increase of Table amounts will be considered every 3 years.
Last reviewed, March 13, 2018
Paul Larsen, CPA